POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thinking about J2K... : Re: Thinking about J2K... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about J2K...
From: stephen parkinson
Date: 8 Mar 2004 13:01:18
Message: <404cb4ee@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:
> after having read the funny and entertaining thread about JPEG2000 from the
> weekend here are some observations of mine on this "future" image file format.
> I will try to give some facts and avoid too much rants and rambling, but let's
> see.
> Some weeks ago I did implement a JPEG2000/J2K decoder/encoder and did
> a lot of research on this topic, so I hope to be qualified to do some rant about
> all this...
>
> First about the claim of the superior image quality of J2K compared to the
> conventional jpeg DCT encoding. Well, I would say it depends. For highly
> compressed images (with a ratio of lets say 1:80) it is definitely true. While
> JPG consists only of the well known ugly block artefacts, J2K gives a smooth
> but blurry image that is much more pleasant to the eye. But for less compressed
> images, when image quality is the main issue, the file size will be quite the
> same and it simply depends on the kind of image and it is also a matter of
> personal taste.
> Imagine a picture with a smooth sky gradient and some small wires in the
> foreground. JPG will introduce some artefacts (and color banding) in the sky but
> J2K will tend to blur out the wires and make them vanish - so anyway, a loss of
> information is a loss of information.
> In my opinion, the impression of getting a better image quality with JPEG2000 is
> mostly the result of the advertising of some commercial companies to point out
> the neccessarity of purchasing their product (library, plugin or whatever).
>
> But there is also the possibility of using lossless compression with JPEG2000
> and this gives in most cases a much better compression ratio than e.g. PNG's
> zlib compression and it beats LZW (as used by e.g. TIFF) all the time. So here
> goes a clear point to JPEG2000. And I think it is also quite nice to use one
> file format that allows both, lossless and adjustable lossy compression,
> depending on your needs.
>
> Another issue is: JPEG2000 can be streamed. This means (well, this would
> mean, in case your browser would support the format) you can view the complete
> image immediately at low quality and the quality does successive increase while
> downloading the image. Nice feature, sure. Especially for slow connections
> and/or huge images. But remember this is also possible with progressive
> encoded jpeg files but IE downloads first the complete image until it displays
> something, with non progressive jpeg's it shows them at least line by line.
> Firebird works meanwhile nicely with progressive jpeg files. How long does jpeg
> exist? Not sure, but I guess so about 15 years.
>
> Next point: JPEG2000 supports full colorimetric information stored within the
> file. The files posted by IMBJR are an example for this, they include an ICC
> profile. Fine, but PNG, JPG and TIFF do support ICC profiles also. The problem
> [...]

talking to someone who actually i assume got work to purchase a
hardback book entitled 'jpeg2000' and their experiences, i had the
distinct impression that the focal blur operation of povray could be
removed, provided of course we implemented the facility of jpeg2000.
personally speaking, i can't see the point

stephen

anyone know about mozilla, newsgroups and a "don't display posts from"
option
much previous is humerous or meant to be, immediately above is serious